Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Reverting to an older Firmware version

Is there any way to do this? I imagine I need an installer for previous versions, which I can't find on the Apple site. I recently installed the Macbook Fan Control firmware update (SMC 1.1 I think) and find it is incredibly annoying to have the fan working 100% of the time, not to mention the dramatically reduced battery life I get as a result.

Very very annoyed.
    17" MacBook Pro core i7, 32Gig iPhone 3Gs, 32Gig iPad

Quote Originally Posted by insular View Post
    Is there any way to do this? I imagine I need an installer for previous versions, which I can't find on the Apple site. I recently installed the Macbook Fan Control firmware update (SMC 1.1 I think) and find it is incredibly annoying to have the fan working 100% of the time, not to mention the dramatically reduced battery life I get as a result.

Very very annoyed.
    There is a firmware restore disc available to service providers.

Sounds good, but I'm sure NextByte will want to charge me $95 to restore my firmware.

If anyone's feeling generous I'd like to get a copy somehow (even if its only the pkg installer I need).

Very very annoyed.
    Firstly, if the fan is annoying you on its lowest setting, something may be wrong with your macbook. Mine is really quiet - I can hear it, but it's by far the LEAST annoying laptop fan I've heard. Secondly, the amount of power used by your fan is several orders of magnitude less then the rest of your macbook. The fan being on its lowest setting all the time will NOT make your macbook's battery go flat noticeably faster. I would be willing to bet cold hard cash on that fact. That is unless your fan is somehow broken in a way that made it draw lots of current.... but I would expect it to stop working if that happened.
    "The need is not for, say, half a million -inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million -inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com

Wait up! SMC Fan Control isn't a product from Apple! It's a third party product that allows manual control of your fans. Maybe you installed it and had it switch on when you turn on the computer?
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Nah I installed a firmware update from Apple which makes the fans run constantly, and in my case it was going full blast all of the time which is bad when your recording lectures etc. and it affects the quality of those recordings.

I installed a fan control preference pane that has allowed me to change the threshold for when when the fans kick in and change the minimum rpm speed to 1000.

It's bearable now, but I still think it sucks they take the control from users like they do.

Nah I installed a firmware update from Apple which makes the fans run constantly, and in my case it was going full blast all of the time which is bad when your recording lectures etc. and it affects the quality of those recordings.

I installed a fan control preference pane that has allowed me to change the threshold for when when the fans kick in and change the minimum rpm speed to 1000.

It's bearable now, but I still think it sucks they take the control from users like they do.
    Modifying speeds of fans is dangerous, that's why you can't control it - all intel chips these days have automatically throttled fans so that your CPU doesn't cook.

There are two reasons the latest SMC enables the fan always,
    1: Eliminates the moo, which is the fan turning on and then off as the temp drops slightly
    2: Stops your MBP from becoming uncomfortable or burning you.

If the fans speed up during a task it means the CPU usage is also going up, do not attempt to silence the fan in this case unless you like the prospect of your macbook being killed.

If your fan is running full blast constantly, then either you are using your CPU heavily, in which case the fans HAVE to run heavily in order to stop your computer from melting, or there is a problem with your computer. The problem could be that you installed a third party hack, then when you installed the apple firmware update, something went funny due to the nature of the hack. Another possibility is that you have a hardware issue with your heatsink assembly.

You're not sitting there in class playing games, and expecting your computer to be quiet, are you?
    "The need is not for, say, half a million -inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million -inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com