Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hoony's Avatar hoony is offline I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Howdy everyone,

I've got some AVI files which I'd like to watch lounging on the couch, rather than at my desk (I spend far too much time infront of macs).

Does anyone know how you can burn AVIs to DVD so I can play them in my DVD player? A quick google only turns up PC software.

Any pointers would be a big help to my aching neck B)

hoony
    Insert witty comment here.

See, you can trust me.

I've heard a rumor that ffmpeg will convert the avi to a format of your choosing, which toast will burn to DVD with ease.
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

VersionTacker - FFMpegX

Their official homepage: FFMpegX

mjpegtools is required to encode to MPEG2. If you can get the settings right, you should be able to get DVD-compliant video out of FFMpegX

or re-encode your video into a more suitable format.

Best of luck - hope you get something working.

I've tried those tools and get mixed results. I think I need to sit down for a longer period of time and tinker.

I think I should play with a small clip so it don't take ages, and experiment

This is a subject I happen to know a "little" about

A few ways to do it.

1.) Get a streaming media box if you want to cut down on DVD's and stream the AVI's from your mac over to that device. Elgato have a Eye-Home device as to do Netgear and Dlink. Or my personal favorite a modifed xbox running Xbox Media Centre

2.) iDVD 05 supports DiVX and Xvid ecoded AVI's natively now. You can just drag and drop them into iDVD and burn them as a normal DVD

3.) Toast 6 will do the same

4.) Or if you have a PC. DVD Santa is the best single application I have used for DVD conversions. But no fancy menus like the above

PM me if you need to know more. I do this sort of stuff everyday

Originally posted by Alessiman@Mar 17 2005, 10:01 AM
    Or my personal favorite a modifed xbox running Xbox Media Centre
    Works like a charm

hoony's Avatar hoony is offline I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Thanks guys! I'll try toast 6 tonight when I get home.
    Insert witty comment here.

See, you can trust me.

Resurrecting an old thread …

Does anyone here know if http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/ is able to do the .avi conversion to create a DVD playable in a normal DVD player?

It looked as though it would, but either I've done something wrong, my DVD burner isn't working properly, or it can't do the conversion. I'm using a 20" G4 1.25ghz

Cheers,
    Andrew

PS How does one do the links these days so as to show some text rather than the url?
    Andrew
    I'm not compatible with Windows

{url=http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net}Burn OSX{/url}

Substitute [] for the {} and that's how you do URL's. In the editor though there's a link button which makes it easy. Just check out the result of using that button.
    The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by froggy View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread …

Does anyone here know if http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/] is able to do the .avi conversion to create a DVD playable in a normal DVD player?

It looked as though it would, but either I've done something wrong, my DVD burner isn't working properly, or it can't do the conversion. I'm using a 20" G4 1.25ghz
    To answer my own question …

There is an option in Burn which apparently compensates for a bug in Apple's DiscBurning.framework.

The option is 'Create a fully compatible DVD-video disk' and is found in Preferences/General.

Having now selected that option, I'm able to create DVDs playable in my DVD player!

Another fantastic piece of open-source software!

Cheers,
    Andrew
    I'm not compatible with Windows

rtc Guest

Can anyone tell me how to get hold of the app froggy mentions, the link doesn't work (anymore) and I have the same original issue (i.e. AVI to DVD).

Quote Originally Posted by rtc View Post
    Can anyone tell me how to get hold of the app froggy mentions, the link doesn't work (anymore) and I have the same original issue (i.e. AVI to DVD).
    There's just an extra end bracket in there that's not letting the link work.

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/

Default VisualHub

Will convert virtually any media format to a VIDEO_TS folder which can be burned to DVD and watched on any DVD player.

VisualHub + Toast 7 is a wicked combination.

Dave

I second VisualHub and Toast.

Couldn't be easier.

Does anyone know how to do this, but add a subtitle track to the DVD? I've got a few foreign moves in DivX my mum wants to watch on her DVD player, but we want the subtitles (which are in a .sub and .idx file).

rtc Guest

What? Your MOTHER watches questionable "foreign" movies you downloaded from the web (why else would they be in DiVX)?

Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by rtc View Post
    What? Your MOTHER watches questionable "foreign" movies you downloaded from the web (why else would they be in DiVX)?

Just kidding.
    Why else would there be a copy of Bizet's Carmen on my hard-drive, except for the fact my mother would want to see it?

Decryption, so your divx videos have subtitles on them already? Like encoded into the video?

Quote Originally Posted by visional_studios View Post
    Decryption, so your divx videos have subtitles on them already? Like encoded into the video?
    Nah, they're contained in a separate file (.sub and .idx). To watch the video with subtitles, in VLC, I have to enable the subtitles track.

Ok, it can be done with FFMPEGX: http://homepage.mac.com/major4/dvd_sub.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast